Sunday, November 18, 2007

Cheering Me On...

Some of the girls from our women's ministry took a day trip out to the OELS Ropes Course. We've been before and it never disappoints! It's a great event to build team unity and the challenges we face together always send us away feeling like we can conquer just about anything! It is certainly a reminder that we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength. The last challenge of the day was a 34-foot tall rock wall that we had to climb and once we got to the top, we could ride the zip-line to the bottom. So awesome, but it was a challenge I didn't think I could complete. When it came my turn, the weather was a little drizzly and the rocks (the grips) were a little slick. It was hard to hang on, much less hard to pull yourself up! Almost halfway up, I slipped. You are harnessed, so you don't fall far, but it scared me and I quickly gave up. I had them lower me down and with my arms shaking like jello, I sat and watched the rest of the group complete the challenge. After everyone had a turn, the girls convinced me to try again. I didn't want to. Failing once was bad enough, but to try and then fail again would be even worse. They wouldn't accept that. So I got back on the wall. It was still hard. But the girls were screaming and cheering below as well as calling out directions for my feet. They could see easier moves that from my viewpoint I could not see. One of our JANES had gone before me and she waited at the top for me to make it, making sure that I didn't give up. And our wonderful instructor was at the top, doing the same. About 30 feet in the air, not believing how far I had made it, I looked down at all those faces that were intent on helping me succeed(I wanted to make sure they were taking my picture!) and I thought, "What a great picture of the body of Christ!" This is how it's supposed to be. Rallying around one another and cheering one another on. I made it to the top. But I wouldn't have given it a second try if it wasn't for my team. They were a great reminder that we are stronger than we think and we can overcome challenges with the help and support of those around us. I am so grateful for these girls that challenge me to do the things I think I cannot do. See the proof below!




6 comments:

Christina Ketchum said...

What a wonderful time! That is so cool you made it to the top and you had a group of women that wouldn't allow you to give up!!!

DA Wagners said...

WOW! You are the best Women's Minister ever!!! You totally rock. I wish I could have been there. Thanks for sharing such a great post about how awesome our God is!

Canadian Bird said...

Congratulations, DeeDee!!! I've been delinquent in my blogging & checking others' so excuse my lateness in posting a comment.
I wish I could've been there as one of those women cheering you on, as you did for me Wednesday night!
Your smile in the last pic is PRICELESS! Woohoo! That's what VICTORY feels like & we are ALL victorious in HIS name! xoxo

Alene said...

Found your blog through Leslie. WOW this looks awesome. I bet it was a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure God smiled on you all.

Kelly said...

What a great idea!

Lynette said...

What an awesome word picture of the body of Christ!

I know you don't know me, but I stumbled upon your profile and thought, "Oh my! She sounds alot like me, especially being an ordinary person serving an awesome God in ministry and secretly wanting to be a voice for a cartoon character some day." Except I'm a children's minister... it takes a very special woman to work with adults. Kudos! :o)