Friday, September 7, 2007

Saying Goodbye...

My sweet grandad passed away this week after a short battle with cancer. He was the kind of man that everyone loved and wanted to be around. He had children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren that he loved and took great pride in. He was baptist, right down to the suit and tie and though fear tried to creep in during these last days, he never wavered from his faith in Jesus.




He served in the Marines when he was a young man and his dream has always been to have a military funeral. I've posted some pics so that you can see that his dream came true. It was so moving. His grandsons and great-grandsons were the pallbearers and it was a striking sight to see them carry the flag-draped casket to its final resting place. My grandad would have been so proud. I was so proud...of the man he was...of the life he lived...of the legacy he left behind.




We'll miss you Grandad.








7 comments:

Canadian Bird said...

DeeDee...I'm so sorry to you & your family for your loss. I'm sure this whole week has been difficult for you...maybe longer. What a gift, though, knowing your Grandad was saved & you will someday be reunited with him. And what a great final gift you all gave him in honouring his wish to have a military funeral. I'm sure it added great poignance to the celebration of his life.
You're in my prayers...

Sohl Gal said...

DeeDee, I'm so sorry about your loss. Hopefully your Grandad and my G-parents can get together up there and send us some divine assistance over the coming weeks. I know how you are feeling right now, and I pray that you feel comforted by the love of those around you.

Susie said...

It sounds like your grandad was a great man. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a special funeral!

Christina Ketchum said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandad sounds like an amazing man of God. I am glad he got his wish for a military funeral.

Semper Fidelis!

DA Wagners said...

I'm glad that he left such a legacy! It is awesome that he is in heaven and that he led a life worth praising! I'm sorry he is not with you anymore, and I'll be praying for you still!

Unknown said...

Sorry to read of your sad news. Sounds like he would have been honoured by the honour shown him on his passing...

Blessings to you and yours

Barbara

Carol said...

Oh, yes! The military funerals are really something. My dad was given full honors when he died and it was so moving.

So sorry for your loss. So blessed by your post.