Sunday, June 15, 2008

Minor Miracle

I have to tell you a hokey story about myself but I need to preface it with this little bit of trivia. About so many years ago, I had the most amazing opportunity. It was one of those things that only God could do, because I certainly wasn't experienced or qualified for it. The owner of a record company came to our church where my friend Joni and I were a part of the worship team. (Lesson #1: The most amazing opportunities come when you serve in your local church!) Long story short, he offered us a record deal and we began the journey of putting an album together. When it was time to lay the tracks down, we met our producer that would be working with us on the project. Because I was a die-hard Christian Music fan from a very early age, what was happening before my very eyes seemed surreal. Our producer, a legend in the music industry, was Jonathan Brown, producer for Petra! When we met, I could hardly speak...in fact, I don't think I did. So he leaned in to shake my hand and said, "Maybe we should start with prayer." I replayed that moment for weeks, wishing I could've handled it with a little more "coolness", but it didn't take him long to figure out that I was pretty goofy! We did the project...Minor Miracle. I had some incredible experiences during that season of my life and I grew as a musician like never before. I don't know how many times I heard in the studio, "DeeDee, you're just a hair flat." It took much patience on Jonathan's part and a few tears on mine, to finally learn what a "hair flat" was. I knew that he could tune my vocals digitally and I would say, "Jonathan, please just fix me". To which he always replied, "I refuse. Sing it again." I still tend to sing a "hair flat", but God has taught me so much through people who are better than me and people who make me better. So I share with you my fifteen minutes of fame, to tell you that a few weeks ago, I found out that Minor Miracle is on itunes and Yahoo Music. A project that I thought was extinct is now in cyberspace and here's the hokey part...I downloaded every song to my ipod! My friends Mandy and Daniel laughed at me because yes, I do have a CD somewhere around here and yes, I could've copied it to my computer and downloaded it for free. But no, I paid to hear myself sing on my own ipod! I hadn't heard those songs in so long and man, it took me back to a time that God showed himself so strong on my behalf. Scripture says that we build our faith by remembering the things God has done in our lives. As I remember this, just one of many great things God has done in my life, I know that there is nothing that is impossible for Him. The dreams I have are just a drop in the bucket for Him and when I recount the mighty works that He has done, my faith is strengthened and I am inspired to believe Him for more. I love living a life of adventure and wondering what could possibly be around the next corner. He never ceases to amaze or surprise me. I'm so glad that I am on this journey with Him!

The music is not so hip anymore, but it is a great testimony to the power of God and His delight to give His children the desires of their hearts. Have a listen and be inspired to believe God for Big Crazy Dreams! P.S. "Sweet Escape" is my favorite...

Minor Miracle





3 comments:

Alene said...

I sit with tears in my eyes! Thanks for sharing that story. I so needed a reminder of how incredibly big and cool our God is. I love Sweet Escape! Beautiful vocals. Learning from others can be so hard - but oh so priceless! Blessings girl!

DA Wagners said...

I can't wait to hear you sing! I've seen you sing several times, but I can't honestly say that I've heard you! I'm not good at picking out voices among a group! Very cool! I'm totally pumped about your music!

Canadian Bird said...

I'm downloading you as we speak! You're a rockstar! Looking forward to hearing your music... :) xoxo